We are all doing everything we can to be more eco-conscious and have less impact on the environment. The good news is that there are many different things we can do; one action we can take, that sometimes does get overlooked, is installing a solar shower. A solar shower harnesses the power of the sun to provide refreshing warm water for your outdoor (or even indoor) bathing needs.
Whether you are looking to be more eco-friendly, or looking to reduce your energy bill, a solar shower is a great addition to your outdoor space. It’s time to explore the key aspects of a solar shower below!
Benefits of a Solar Shower
There are some pretty clear benefits of using a solar shower, as it remains an attractive choice for many. Some of the major benefits include:
- Eco-friendly: The most obvious benefit of a solar shower is that it is better for the environment compared to the traditional option. Solar showers operate using the sun, which means you won’t use as much electricity.
- Cost-effective: Another key benefit that everyone will love! Once you’ve got your solar shower set up, the cost of running it is much lower as you don’t have to spend money on electricity or gas to heat up the water.
- Easy Installation: The majority of solar showers going around are very straightforward when it comes to set up. There’s no need to be a DIY expert, all you need to do is follow the instructions provided.
Health Benefits: It is known that solar-heated water is gentler on your skin when compared to other conventional water heaters. So, if you have particularly sensitive skin, a solar shower may be the way to go!
Types of Solar Showers
There are many different types of solar showers on the market for you to choose from. It’s important you review all the different types on the market, so you can make the best choice for your space. The main types include:
- Portable Solar Showers: These are particularly lightweight and therefore easy to move around. These types of solar showers are perfect if you love camping but still want to enjoy a nice warm shower!
- Solar Shower Columns: These are by far the most popular type of solar showers going around. Solar shower columns are a permanent fixture in your outdoor space, and there are many different styles and finishes available. You would often see these solar shower columns around the garden or near pools, as they act as a way to wash off before going inside the house.
Maintenance & Tips
You’ve invested in a solar shower, so you want to make sure it lasts. In particular, solar shower columns that are built using the best materials, like stainless steel, will usually stand the test of time, but there are some extra actions you can take to make your solar shower looking like new for many years to come:
- Check for Leaks: You should regularly check your solar shower for any damage or leaks. This is especially the case if your solar column is outside in the elements all year round.
- Regular Cleans: It is a good idea to clean your solar shower regularly, including the column, shower head and any other parts of the shower. This is important to prevent mold as well as mineral build-up.
- Use Mild Soap: Using a mild and biodegradable soap is better for the solar shower itself, while it also helps to minimize the impact on the environment.